Benefits of Networking: Networking is about connecting and sharing, listening and forming trust.
- Raising awareness about you
- Sharing ideas and solving problems
- Building strong relationships and rapport
- Developing partnerships, leads and referrals
- Becoming more influential in your Industry
- Increasing efficiency and productivity
The KEY Steps
- Determine your goal
- Decide who to talk to and know your audience
- Figure out what the person knows/WIIFM
- Practice the opening speech & request (ASK) for a meeting
- Prepare to handle doubters
- Follow-up: Send a Thank You, nurture connections and keep track of contacts
Building Your Network: Good networkers are always on the look out for opportunities to meet and interact with people
- The more people you meet, the better your chances of finding the information you need or the connections you want
- Even if the person you meet can’t help you, they may know someone who can
The Elevator pitch: As you work to create your pitch ask yourself:
- What problem do I solve?
- Who is my market?
- Who is my competition?
- What is my service, product, company and/or cause?
- What is my competitive advantage?
- Why should they care?
- How do I make money?
- Who Supports me?
- Who is my customer?
There is no point in building up your network if you are not going to use it!
- Introduce people and connect them
- Ask for what you need and what you want
- Follow through
- Re-Establishing contact
- Contact management: Linked-In, Facebook, Outlook etc.
- Be prepared to deliver, anytime and anywhere
- Have your elevator speech ready
- Start with contacts that are safe to build confidence
- Make it part of your life and your work to build relationships
- Use thought, sensitivity & preparation to become successful in networking